Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Preserving Memories


For a few years now, following my interest in genealogy, I've also been interested in creating scrapbooks. Since I'm an avid photographer, it seems to be the natural course to take.

Digital photography, and digital scrapping don't interest me, and I haven't a clue how to go about it. I'd much rather have the paper and assorted 'stuff' at my fingertips, and create 'live and in person'. Although this can get pretty expensive, it's also quite a satisfying undertaking for those of us who are interested in this sort of thing.

For as long as I can remember, I've been a paper freak. I love stationery, drawing papers, painting papers, wrapping papers, and now...scrapbook papers. I love trying to choose just the right paper to be the background for a photo, so as to 'tie in' with the subject matter in the image and yet to not draw your eye from the image. It's a challenge! Then there are all the 'doo-dahs' to decorate the pages with...tags, ribbons, buttons, snaps, clips, gems, stickers..., oh my! The possibilities are endless, at least for now, while scrapbooking is a fad.

I have taken note, however, that the 'hands on' supplies in the craft stores seem to be fewer than they were when I started this endeavor. Does that mean that this 'rage' is becoming a thing of the past?! Oh no!! That might mean I should head to Michaels and Hobby Lobby and buy everything while the gettin's good! I fear that because of the digital options (and the fact that, these days, one is hard-pressed to find a non-digital camera) that scrapbooking, for as long as it endures, is going digital fast and furiously!
I won't do it! No...I will NOT! Call me a purist. Call me old-fashioned. Call me anything you like, but this crafter is sticking to her double-sided tape and other available adhesions!

In time, the contents of bottomless boxes of photos will be nicely placed on color coordinated pages, dated and labeled, some with journaling that tells more of the story than the pictures do. Each of my grandchildren will have their albums chronicalling the life he or she has lived. Each one of my children will have one too. (Actually more likely it will be more than one each!) Both sides of my husband's family histories will have their own thick books, as will my own.

You may think I've got lofty dreams, but each of these albums has been started... and I believe they will be finished, or at least will go for as many years as I'm granted. I so enjoy doing this, and cannot fathom ever stopping. There are stories to be told, lives to be honored, memories to be preserved. It seems it's my blessing to do this for all these whom I love. Life is good...

No comments:

Post a Comment