Sunday, May 17, 2009

Do What You Love

There is currently a theory that if you do what you love, what you're good at, you will succeed in business. I'm not sure that would work for me....but it doesn't really matter, because I'm not looking for a business.

For years people have been telling me that I could make 'good money' if I would sell my crafts. They've said the same thing about my articles and poetry, encouraging me to put them together in a book and sell them or to write greeting card slogans. Do you know what? I don't want to do that!

I keep thinking that I'd begin to hate the crafting, the card making, the writing, and that the creative juices would stop, if I had to do it. I do what I do, when I do, for the pleasure of it. I do it for the presenting of some part of me as a gift. If someone else along the way appreciates it, that's all well and good, but to get so busy creating for profit doesn't give me a thrill. I don't care to think of the record keeping, bookwork and legalities that go with a having business of your own. I've spent too many years chained to a desk working for someone else and I don't care to put the shackles back on even if I'd be the boss. Perhaps I'm too independent. I like governing my own time and talents, without the discipline it would take to make money at all this.

Yes, maybe someone else could be a successful business person by doing what they love. As for me, I'll do what I love and enjoy the feeling of success I have when I see the delight in a child's face, or a new mother's glow when I've given her a handmade gift. I'll be happy enough knowing that one of my cards has encouraged someone or brightened their day just a little. I'll leave the money-making to someone who's not satisfied with his or her life as it is. Besides, I'm better at spending money than making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment