Thursday, September 24, 2009

A New Job, or Two...

As the first of October rolls toward us, I've taken on a new role, or two. I've recently been elected as Chairperson for the church social committee and the head of our Baptist Women's group. I'm not sure that I'm qualified for either position, but we'll find out soon enough. I do know that I'll be calling upon the former leaders to instruct me somewhat.

Six months or so ago, I volunteered to be the hostess for the October meeting of the Baptist Women. I can host it at my home or at the church hall. It is my intention to have my home completely in order again, following our Aug. 12 flood, so I'd like to do it here. Usually the hostess provides the place and the meal, and it can be anything from a full-fledged dinner to light fare. Thoughts have been tossed back and forth between my husband and myself about what to cook that will serve as many as twenty women. Since it will be fall-like weather by that time, I think I'll make a huge kettle of my thick hamburger-vegetable soup, wonderful, warm, herbed Italian bread and a green salad. I'm thinking of leaf shaped cookies, decorated with orange, brown and gold frostings, with a warm apple brown betty,topped with vanilla ice cream for dessert .

I've bought a paper mache pumpkin, which I plan to use as a container for brightly colored autumn leaves as a table centerpiece. My mind is rolling with ideas. Being a scrapbooker and card creater, I've many 12 x 12 sheets of paper with which to craft placemats, so I'm thinking of cutting leaf shapes of 'specialty' shiny papers in pumpkin and gold hues to glue to the sheets. Table cloths will coordinate with the color scheme.

Another woman will provide us with a devotional. She will be able to choose her topic, but I will tell of her of my idea, in case she wants to coordinate her talk with the 'theme of the evening'...fall and leaves. If she is willing, perhaps she will speak about the scripture verse, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." or "though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord upholdeth him with His right hand."

None of this fussing is necessary, of course, but I like to decorate and coordinate things when I can. Think of the aroma of those cinnamon-spiced apples, and the bright colors of autumn in the house! I'd like to make it a little 'special' time for the ladies.

As for the Social committee, as the dates come close for specific events, there will be meetings for me to call together, and I'm sure that ideas will flow at that time.
For now, I must focus my attentions on pulling my house together again, so that it will be ready to return to the living in comfort....and the entertaining of friends and family.

2 comments:

  1. You are like me - a real glutton for punishment. Wish I had you in our church though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Barbara. I'm looking forward to these challenges...but check back with me in a few months! I may just change my mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete