Saturday, January 22, 2011

One of Those Nights...

It was one of those nights that happen far too often lately. Last night we watched Meryl Streep in "Mama Mia" and loved it. I may have been a bit more appreciative than Mike, because I actually saw the end of the movie, which I rarely do, no matter how excited I am to be watching it.

I woke up in the dark just minutes before I heard the two gongs signifying the two o'clock hour. I struggled to rise from my cozy nest on the couch, wandered to the bathroom, and got ready for bed. Climbing between the covers, I remained in a dazed state of half-sleep while I put my head on the pillow. I waited. I heard the single gong of the clock....2:30 AM. I prayed for everyone I knew that I'd promised prayer for. Gong,Gong, Gong! 3 AM . I mentally shopped for material for the kitchen backsplash. I pictured the plastic-type of ceiling tin made for the project, and wondered about it and it's durability. I pictured the small, glass tiles...greys,white, black....too modern I decided. Do I want to explore the myriad of ceramic tiles? I tried to imagine some of it, and wasn't very enthused, as I don't really want tiles at all. What else could I work with for an easy -to-clean surface that will hold up well? Gong...3:30 AM. Husband gets up for his stop in the necessary room, and then he continues to the kitchen for that middle of the night snack. He came back to bed and I heard the four gongs.

Moving on, I wondered about the prayer shawls knitted by a friend, and her knitting group. I tried to imagine what they look like, and wondered if she would sell/make one for me. A mental note was made to contact her with the query. At that point, I also realized that I needed to send a check for a handcrafted item I'd ordered. One gong...4:30 AM.

I rolled from one side to the other, and then to my stomach, then returned to my back. I heard my stomach growl as it continued to process the cabbage and ham dinner we'd eaten hours earlier. I thought it was taking a long time to digest, and then realized that I might be hungry instead. I'd wait until breakfast. The heating unit seemed unusually loud, and then I heard the five gongs. It was useless. Sleep was definitely illusive and wasn't apt to show up as daylight moved closer. I got up.

All the plans I had made to run out and do errands today diminished as I took my morning vitamins and waited for the coffee to brew. I made some eggs and bacon and rye toast, and turned on the early news. After my habit of Facebook with coffee, I tried to gather my thoughts from the fog in my head, and determine whether I'm up to doing any errands at all. Feeling dizzy with the lack of sleep, I reckoned that it might be safer to stay at home and do whatever demanded my attention. Certainly it had better not be anything requiring much attention because I don't have any to spare after a 4 hour sleep.

I think my crystal ball is indicating a nap will be had this afternoon....and a welcome one, at that.


  1. I've had those nights!

    Would be happy tos send a prayer shawl - just tell me who its for and what the reason is so I can write it in the book. No details - just big picture: "Jane Doe - in hospital" or "Jane Doe - baby born" is fine!

  2. Not for anyone except me...just thought how nice it would be to cuddle into one as I pray for others. When I find someone who is in need as you describe, I will let you know. Thank you for the offer.