Friday, January 13, 2012

The Mind is....

a curious thing.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The brain is a  rather small organ with many parts that have different functions. I'm not going to get 'all scientific' on you, because I don't really know much about it, really.  I do, however, know that it's a pretty remarkable little thing.

It has the ability to wake you up and get you moving. It has the capacity to stop your physical and mental movement, as well, given the right circumstances. (or should I say 'wrong' ones?) It remembers the things you've learned in life, and has the ability to let things of lesser importance to slink back and sit on a shelf somewhere where we can't locate it again.  The brain can help us to think of new things and remember old memories.  It can be enhanced by practicing what we know, routine and exercise. While we can remember every detail of a teen prank, we can forget/ before we enter a room, why we were going there.

What surprises me is how the mind has the ability to create and dream up things, all on its own.... as in dreams in slumber. We have no way of directing those things while we sleep....they seemingly just come along and take off on their own.  Take, for example, the scene that played behind my eyelids this morning as I slept.  It's a bit of a jumble, but it seems that a friend of ours was babysitting for my granddaughter, who was catching fairies on the end of a teaspoon. The next thing I knew, I was watching for a dark pick up truck, and about to encounter a meeting with Chuckie Maresca and some of his daughters, when we would run into each other at the Long Island Fair. Now, you don't know 'Chuckie', and I don't either, really, having not seen him or heard from him since I was seven years old!
I've not given him more than three thoughts since then, and those were just memories of our antics as grade schoolers. That is what amazes me. Why would my mind drag a childhood name from the archives, and grow him into a man with daughters, all of whom I'd run into at a fair I've never once attended? 

The brain, with all of its workings and wonders, is a wonderful mystery to me. With all the happy memories,  the unpleasant ones,as well, the lessons learned, and the many other things it holds, I truly enjoy the creative activity that it shows me. I'll never understand it....but I do enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I also marvel at the human brain,the complexity of our brain we cant begin to imagine.And the things we could accomplish if we could only figure out how to harness all of it! Powerful thinking!

    Blessings Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you wonder what ever did happen to Chuckie. :)

    ReplyDelete