Sunday, May 22, 2011

Coffee?

These days I do not start the day without a cup of coffee. I pour just a little half and half into it, and I'm good to go.  It wasn't always that way.  I used to prefer tea. It's clear and warm and I drank gallons of it per week before I discovered that coffee was a much better waker-upper in the morning.

There was a time when I thought I didn't like the taste of coffee.  I'd always loved the aroma of it, but the taste just seemed bitter to me.  Then I went to work in an insurance/realty office where the coffee pot was on all day long, and it was easier to drink the ready-made brew than it was to fuss with making a cup of tea.  I discovered that coffee wasn't half-bad.  Maybe it was the brand that was used at work, I don't know, but I got hooked.

In other work places over the years, there were choices in 'additions' to the cup of brew.  Some offices offered half and half. Others bought non-dairy creamers, either plain or flavored. Other places had the choice of any of the above-listed items.  Sugar, artificial sweetners, and no sugar at all made their way into my mug at various times. I've weaned myself of the sugar addition, and the half and half is no where near the amount that I first used.  I can use the non-dairy stuff, but don't care much for it. However, when I stay in a motel, that's usually all there is to use, and it'll suffice until I can get a true cup of java.

I'm really not a coffee addict, as some are, though.  One large mug of hot coffee upon rising is all I have throughout the day.  It's the equivalent of two cups.  I don't drink it later in the day because I have enough trouble sleeping through the night as it is.  Rarely, in the heat of summer, I have yielded to a desire for a frappe, but as I say, it's not often.

I don't go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts to obtain a cup of their stuff.  Believe me, they will never get rich on my purchases! Though the flavor certainly is better than what we have at home, I cannnot justify the cost!  What we have is convenient, and gets my engine reved in the morning, so I'm content!

4 comments:

  1. I never got to like tea.

    Liked coffee, with sugar and creamer of some sort.

    Then, quite a few years ago, I had to drop real coffee, for health.

    -sigh-

    Decaf is OK, but not the same.

    -sigh-

    :-)

    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee~Coffee~COFFEE! My beverage of choice, hot or cold! I always have a cuppa in my hand or close by...It started young with cream and sugar, over the years the first to be eliminated was sugar then the cream...
    And I will say not all coffee beans are the same..It's definately a taste preference..
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a coffee or tea drinker and sometimes I'm sorry as it may be the only thing offered. I may have to blog about this in the near future! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in a household that the last thing they did at night was unplug the coffeepot but, same thing, I had liked the aroma but didn't like the taste. I didn't start drinking coffee until I left home and it was the only thing we could drink for free when I was a waitress in my youth. I couldn't stand it with sugar, tolerated it with cream, but soon discovered I liked it best black and only used cream if it was really bitter in a restaurant. But--OMG! Once I bought a grinder and went to whole beans freshly ground I couldn't go back to my cans of ground coffee. And there are so many kinds and they don't taste all the same, as Blessings said. Delicious!

    I do drink teas, too, occasionally. They say they are so good for you, so I keep trying to fall in love with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete