Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Friends...

An old song that I learned in the Girl Scouts about a hundred years ago says:

"Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver, and the other's gold."

I have always believed it to be so. I've never like losing track of old friends, especially dear ones, but sometimes others just don't hold up their end of communications, so it's often hard to stay updated.

Since I'm a people-person, I enjoy meeting and making new friends,as well. I've met some wonderful people, face to face, and many on-line ones too, who share similar interests.  But today, I'm going to focus on old friends.

Facebook and other networking sites are good for reconnecting. It's been my pleasure to be a part of the Facebook world for awhile now. It keeps me updated on my kids lives, as things happen, as well as affording me the ability to chat with some that I grew up with, went to school with, or otherwise have known in  the past. We've re-established friendships across the wires and have shared memories and current life events. We've visited with some and invited them to visit us in our home.  It's great fun!

This morning we met a guy and his wife for breakfast. We've tried four other times in the last two years to have this reunion, and one couple or the other had to cancel for one or another reasons.  Finally, we tried again...and were successful.  Ron and I last saw each other about 25 years ago.  Since then, we've both remarried, moved to new states and retired from our jobs.  Going back more than 40 years ago, we were teenaged sweethearts...eventually marrying others and having families. I've never been sorry that we didn't end up together, but always wanted us to stay friends, which we did, however lax we were in communicating.  Anyway...it was terrific meeting his wife...and catching up on things in each others' lives. 

I hope that it is the beginning of a more frequent stream of conversation, and perhaps visits. We live ten hours from each other, but still, with the blessing of internet and telephones, there's no reason why we shouldn't keep up with each other in the future.

So...go ahead, make your new friends...but keep those old ones close...in heart, and mind.

2 comments:

  1. I've always kept in touch with my high school sweetheart and first love, too. Never wished we had stayed together, but we've been friends since we first connected in back in 1967. He's been married for years and is very happy. I haven't seen him since I moved away from Minneapolis in 1999, but we didn't see each other very often anyways. We just occasionally write, email, and send Christmas cards and birthday cards. :)

    Old friends are good. I still write and email my first friend when we moved to Fridley, MN when I was five...55 years ago. There's something special about people who knew you when. They are golden. :):)

    Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you'll keep in touch with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the old friends can know your true character. With those you can relive the past but having new friends keeps you young and looking toward the future. In all thing a balance is required.
    I miss my old friends !

    ReplyDelete